Friday, January 4, 2013

Baby Project: Burp Cloths


I way overbought when I was picking out fabric for a baby blanket I'm sewing.  But I have plenty of other sewing projects for the baby to use it up on.  Making my own burp cloths was one of them using cloth diapers and sewing a strip of fabric down the center.  Glad to have gone with general colors so we can use them if baby #2 (someday!) is a boy.  And because they're all different I'll be able to tell between the one I've used all morning and picking out a clean one : )  The rest of the fabric will be turned into some onesie art, bibs and soft toys.

-------------------
 
On another note, or rant really ... I was picking up batting for my blanket today at Hobby Lobby and it's a total nightmare!  It always is.  Between them, Michael's and Joann's I'm not sure which is the worst.

Michael's doesn't carry fabric but has tons of yarn and other general craft things.  Things aren't always super organized when I go in, but they're very good about calling whatever help they need to up to the cash register to get people checked out.  Wish they carried everything I needed because I'd just stick with shopping here.

Joann's is a complete time suck if you go to buy any fabric because there's always 10 other people in line with several bolts to cut and only 1 person there to do itThis was never done in MT, but with the ones I've been to here, they always announce each fabric's price per yard and if it's on sale or not to make sure you're aware.  Maybe they've had problems in the past with people cutting stuff cut and realizing later how much it was, but if I've got the same type of fabric and am asking for the same size cut of each each, I'm pretty sure just informing me on the price once will do.  And by the time you get things cut and head to the check out, the line repeats itself there plus all the other shoppers from the store and only one cashier.  Really? Where are all your employees??

Hobby Lobby is huge.  What can't you find there?  But the service is TERRIBLE.  Today I stood behind 2 other people to get some fabric cut while I watched the one lady actually cutting the fabric gingerly take her time doing so, while chatting to the other two employees in the department about I don't even know what.  And the lines at check out are the WORST.  Even if 5 cash registers are open there is always a line of 5+ customers at each one and they all move like molasses.  Lots of employees all around the store but no one seems to know what they're doing :/  I get that for most of the people that work there it's probably only a part time job, but really, can't you at least do your job well??

I really enjoy that I can shop at all these places and that I do have the option of where to go depending on my crafting needs, but sometimes I just wish it wouldn't take an hour for a trip that really could be made in 15-20 minutes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment